Make, Bake, and Grow

Sunday again and it's our day to make, bake, and grow.

Since I started this tradition a few months ago I've come to really look forward to it. It's nice to know that at the end of a busy week is a day for the simplest of things.

Make

This is a little summer top that I made for J out of a vintage cot/crib sheet that I picked up for $1 at a thrift store. It's actually a 3 year old size dress that I modified by making the armholes bigger and putting ties at the back instead of a zip.





You can see the back in this photo. I used the existing folded over hem on the sheet for the ties which meant I didn't need to sew them and turn them out (which I hate).

Bake


My friend Bel and I have a running joke about this cake. We're both baking for gluten, egg, and dairy free diets and this cake recipe is so fool proof that it's always on the menu.  Whenever we have afternoon tea at each other's house we always say, "I've made The Cake".

If you're baking for someone with intolerances or allergies then this is your new go-to recipe.

1 C GF flour
1C coconut
1/2 C sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp "No Egg" egg replacer (can omit if necessary)
1 C fruit - tinned berries work well as does stewed apple, apricots, pears, or even orange juice
1/4 - 1/2 C soy or rice milk to moisten

Bake at 180 degrees centigrade for 50 - 60 mins.






Grow


I recycled these cardboard tubes from the toilet paper and tin foil and cut them down to use as seedling pots. The kids planted out the first Sunflower seeds of the season this morning. When they grow a bit we'll pop them into the garden.






I hope you're having a relaxing day wherever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments, I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...