Make it Monday - Party Decorations

Ah, a subject close to my heart. There's almost nothing I like more than party planning. Today's Make it Monday is all about party decorating with a focus on garlands and paper crafts. Making your own decorations out of paper or recycled fabrics is an effective way to give the look of your party a boost for very little money.

My favourite decorations are banners, garlands, and pompoms. Banners and garlands are quick to make and are so versatile. I like to hang them over windows, from trees, verandahs, or light fittings. Tissue pompoms look great hanging from varying heights indoors or from trees at outdoor events.

When choosing the crafts to feature here today I looked for things that are a little different and can be made easily at home. I hope these ideas give you some inspiration for your next party and show you how easy and cheap it is to make party decorations yourself.

Elslie Larson of A beautiful mess features some great ideas for garlands on her blog. I love the idea of recycling fabrics to make knots of bows, and the vintage wallpaper second from the bottom is to die for.


Erin Wilson of Carosello created this gorgeous fabric fringe banner that I just love. What a perfect way to use up fabric scraps!


Home Heart Craft has a great tutorial for these Hot Air Balloon lanterns. These would be fun to hang outside for a summer party but just as good indoors to liven up a party room. See the little glass containers there? That's where I'd be putting little ornaments or notes that mean something to the birthday boy or girl. Maybe a quote, a line of poetry, or some of their favourite things.


Paper pompoms are a really easy way to make a party look special. So many people I know pay $10 each for them and that makes me what to cry! They're so simple to make, once you learn how you'll never even think of buying them again. Pompoms are a Martha Stewart special. She offers a basic guide to making them on her page. I like Youtube tutorials like this one: Paper pompom video for step by step instructions.



These yarn or string ball decorations from Hostess with the Mostess are another simple idea that looks much more complicated than it is. All you need is some balloons, some string, glue, and cornstarch. A full tutorial with pictures is available on the link above.

This beautiful paper mobile is made from coloured card stock and small metal rings. It looks labour intensive but I had to share because for a special event like a wedding I think they'd be beautiful. For instructions and photos see Camille Styles .

And lastly,



These beautiful 'bunting' garlands were made by my friend Belinda for her daughter's birthday party. They're made from paper napkins, paper doilies, and string. The napkins and doilies are folded in half before being glued onto the string. They looked gorgeous.

Have a great week everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Love that paper doilies idea!! Will surely do that on my daughter's birthday party. Thanks for all the ideas and the links. Truly helpful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...